Fitting a Kitchen door question
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JaseyWasey
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a Kitchen door question

Post by JaseyWasey » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:57 pm

I had some double glazing fitted about 5 years ago from a local firm using Swish profile and Im buying a door from a trade supplier using the same profile. However Im having ago myself fitting the kitchen door as monies tight. Im unsure about how to fix the door frame to the wall as if I screw through the plastic frame to the wall as tightly as I can to get the best fixing will this not twist the door frame in the spots were I bolt ? Is it better to fix at certain points ? Or do I just not give it too much grief when fixing ?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fitting a Kitchen door question

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:25 pm

you will need to measure correctly, first allow 10mm clearance on the width and height.also if the door is opening in you will need a (add on) 15-20mm thick lenth of plastic to allow the hinge to pass the plaster on the inside,this is important.
Always fix the hinge side first,make sure the threasholds level.To do this you will need plastic packers.
Once the hinge side is fixed, close the door slowly and eye the frame so its inline with the door.Dont fix the lock side plumb,the doors plastic and will be slighly bent so when you shut the door, the frame must line in with the door not the other way round.
Use stardrive fixings to fix the frame,use 3 or 4 on each side,2 in the cill.Pre drill the frame first it will be reinforced with steel.
you need your fixings at least 100mm away from the corner weld otherwise it may crack.
good luck.

JaseyWasey
Labourer
Labourer

Post by JaseyWasey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:55 am

Thx very much, Ive ended up buying the door from http://www.pvc-warehouse.co.uk/ and ordered the additional "fixing kit" which Im told by them is all I need.

I originally bought my windows from http://www.double-glazing.org/ and JWS and I'm reliably informed by one of the staff members that they will match, I was worried that the lightoak door I've bought wouldn't colour match the existing windows and look out of place. They say it will . . we shall see . . Cant return it if it doesnt.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:28 am

light oak is only 1 colour there arnt any other shades so you should be fine.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:07 pm