Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
flow
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a power shower

Post by flow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:38 pm

HI

I'm trying to workout how to install a triton power shower......I checked my system, it is a low pressure-large cold tank in loft with a small feeder tank over to one side where the 'vertical' vent pipe goes.

The 'vertical' vent pipe is where I have become stuck in my thinking......From what I understand, I need to tee off of the 'horizontal' vent pipe.......

Moreover......I need to fit either an ******* or surrey flange....I'm thinking the surrey flange......neater......in through the top...don't really wanna be cutting holes into side of boiler, its not my boiler and I'd like to take shower with me when I go.

Back to the point, I'm trying to figure out where to take the hot feed from.........the advice is to take a tee from the 'horizontal' vent pipe coming from boiler......My vent pipe is 'vertical' !......furthermore, from what I understand I should not tee from a vertical pipe...........Hmmmmmmm!

Is there any way round this?........I would sure appreciate some pointers or guidance.

Flow :)

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fitting a power shower

Post by plumbbob » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm a little bit confused here because if you are going to fit a Surrey flange, then the hot feed is taken from that and not elsewhere. Actually, you don't connect anything to the vent pipe, as it can cause air to be sucked in to the shower feed.

A Surrey flange has two outlets. One for the hot water tap supply and one for the shower feed.

It isn't often that showers, even power showers, actually need a Surrey or Ess ex flange to work correctly. You can always retro fit the flange if problems are experienced. Take the feed for the sower within a foot of the outlet at the top of the cylinder.

The cold of course must be a dedicated feed from the larger header tank.

flow
Labourer
Labourer

Post by flow » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:56 am

plumbob......thankyou for responding.......and I apologise for my lack of clarity.

I'll back up a bit....to go step by step.......I wasn't clear on what the surrey flange looked like....I should have looked then it may have made sense.

I've done simple plumbing.......from fitting many kitchens......so I'm familiar with the basics.

I don't think its gonna be much more to fit a power shower....hence my lack of familiarity with...the said 'flanges'.........I watched the video here, on fitting a power shower......all was well...I have a low pressure syatem etc......then, the diy doctor.....showed ways of getting hot water from the boiler......he talks about horizontal pipe coming off of top of boiler, and it shows that..the triton instructions say this too.

I have a boiler in kitchen, immersion heater that also gets heated by a coal fire in winter, with radiators.......... with a vertical vent pipe that goes to the loft.......Also in loft is a large cold water tank.

I'm happy to rethink.......and would welcome a walk through step by step approach......I'm not fixed on using a flange at all, I just thought it maybe necerssary to insure the shower gets priority.......'preventing the arrrghhh! whos turned the taps on !'....lol.........

Furthermore the instructions mentioned what definatly not to do....which ruled out a couple of my ideas.....so I'm here to get straight on this.....I want to fit it well.....

I am at the beginning......The shower is still in box, and I'm trying to get my head around it all.

Once again..thanks for replying plumbob...I hope this gives a clearer picture...:)

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:13 pm

flow wrote:.....showed ways of getting hot water from the boiler......he talks about horizontal pipe coming off of top of boiler..............

Tell me you really mean the hot water cylinder and not the boiler????

flow wrote:......he talks about horizontal pipe coming off of top of boiler, and it shows that..the triton instructions say this too.

Have you identified the correct pipe that is the outlet from the cylinder? It is the top centre connection and there would normally be a short horizontal section of pipe before it tees into the vertical expansion/feed pipe.

flow wrote: I just thought it maybe necerssary to insure the shower gets priority.......'preventing the arrrghhh! whos turned the taps on !'....lol.........

No, the Surrey connection is just to ensure that no air is drawn into the power shower down the expansion pipe.

flow
Labourer
Labourer

Post by flow » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 am

Hello plumbob.....I apologise for the delay....lol.....life.

Would you be up for walking through this with me again?

I reckon I have a better picture now......Basically I have the necerssary water system....(Cold water tank in loft....Hot water cylinder/Immersion... downstairs)....

Plumbing wise....Keeping it simple....Am I correct in thinking that.....I need to T off of the pipe that comes out of the top of the Hot water cylinder......A couple of inches above the top of tank.....before any other junction......Ok to use a normal T joint......and then to run this hot water feed...into the bathroom...in the most effcient manner......Followed by....T junction from the cold water tank.......running this feed in a likewise fashion..into the bathroom?

Regards

flow

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:05 pm

There is an old joke about someone having a bath once a year, and it's coming up to a year since your post. Makes me wonder lol.

Anyway

I need to T off of the pipe that comes out of the top of the Hot water cylinder...... Yes

A couple of inches above the top of tank..... Yes

before any other junction......Yes

Ok to use a normal T joint......Yes probably

and then to run this hot water feed...into the bathroom...Yes

Followed by....T junction from the cold water tank.......NO. The cold has to come from it's independent connection from the tank.

running this feed in a likewise fashion..into the bathroom Yes

The critical point is the head of water between your hot water take off point and the water level in the header tank. If it is less than 2 metres, best use a Surrey flange in the top of the cylinder.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 pm