fitting a surface manetic alarm contact
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gkdigital
Labourer
Labourer

fitting a surface manetic alarm contact

by gkdigital » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:29 am

Hi

Can I pick some brains please.

I've just fitted a new door and have had to replace my flush mount contact with a surface version. I noted the colours of the wires and also the position that they were in. I've come to fit the new contact and it doesn't appear to work as my alarm keypad flashes up trouble (amber light)

The old contact looked like this:

--S-B--
-B--B-
---S---

Yellow wire into the top silver screw, blue into the top brass screw.
Then a resistor wired from the yellow wire to the other silver screw at the bottom, and another resistor wired into the blue wire also then into the same silver screw that the other resistor went. (hope your still with me).

Now my new contact looks like this:
Honeywell Magnetic Contact EMPS-85W

-------Silver-------Silver
Brass--------Brass-------Brass

Ive tried following the same wiring as my prevoius unit but it doesn't appear to work, could anyone shed any light as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Glen.[/list]

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:14 pm

Sorry I can't help and most of us even when we can will not giving information about alarms this is an un-restricted site and the wrong people may read the answers. Sorry
Eric

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi,
whilst entirely agreeing with Eric's sentiment and without giving much away you only mention the 2 cores of your alarm loop, but the other 2 (red/blk?) which form the anti-tamper loop must be joined together also.
In good door contacts they will go to a pair of contacts which break if switch removed from door frame, in cheaper ones without such contacts they must be joined & insulated inside switch case.
I believe this to be your problem as you are only getting tamper not full alarm.
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:08 pm