Fitting a Timer to a Haverland TE-425-E Heated Towel Rail
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wdp1
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a Timer to a Haverland TE-425-E Heated Towel Rail

by wdp1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Hello.

Sorry I don't know any of the technical terms. But my query is I have an electric only heated towel rail - Haverland TE-425-E in my bathroom which is connected to an isolator switch just outside the bathroom.

I don't a lot about the rail as I've just recently moved in to the property that it is in.
All I know is it has a thermostat on the rail itself, which would mean if I want it heating the bathroom it would be on till I remembered to switch off, which could get quite expensive over time.

Anyway, my question is would it be possible for an electrician to install a timer for it, so I can program it to come on at different times though the day?

Please also feel free to correct me on what I’ve said, as I'm no expert.

Thank you.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fitting a Timer to a Haverland TE-425-E Heated Towel Rail

by ericmark » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 am

See no reason for not fitting a time switch, however not sure when you would turn it off?

If I consider my own bathroom it is used day and night, each time it is used the towels are used, and replaced on the towel rail to dry, the whole idea of an electric one is it is still required in the summer when the rest of the heating is off, so when would you time the rail to be off?

wdp1
Labourer
Labourer

by wdp1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 pm

hi
thanks for replying. While it does have an electric thermostat, my thinking with the timer is it would allow me to save money by not having to have it on all day/night or remembering to have to turn it on/off.

thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:49 pm

I think you miss-understand what an electric heated towel rail is for.
Its primary use is do dry towels over a long time, it does this because it only has a low wattage element, they are so "feeble" that they could not be considered as a room heater. (Well it may do if you left it on for a a few days)

I would suggest that it will cost you more in paying for an electrician and the timer than what you would ever save by not switching it off.

But if you want to waste your money, yes an electrician could easily install a timer for you.

wdp1
Labourer
Labourer

by wdp1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks for replying. Looking at the information on my electric towel rail it says it's 450 watt and 230 voltage so my thinking was 1 unit of electric is 1 kw or a 1009 watts if 1 unit costs say 20 pence every 2 hours it will cost me 20p which is £2.40 every 24 hours etc.
That's what got me thinking I need a timer to save money. But your saying you wouldn't pay for a timer to be fitted? So is my thinking incorrect then? Have I misunderstood the potential cost of running the rail? Thankyou

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Your maths are correct, but as I said the cost of an electrician to supply and fit a timer will still cost considerably more than you will save.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:58 pm

[quote="wdp1"]hi
thanks for replying. While it does have an electric thermostat, my thinking with the timer is it would allow me to save money by not having to have it on all day/night or remembering to have to turn it on/off.

thanks[/quote]
I suspect as with a tumble drier you could use a humidity meter to switch it off once the towels are dry, however unlikely it will save money.

I actually looked at vented tumble driers, clearly they take the air from inside the building heat it more and blow it through the cloths outside, so what you need is a heat recovery unit so the air being pumped outside heats the air being sucked in to replace it, theory great, however the £100+ for the unit, plus it getting clogged up with fluff, in real terms a non starter.

Same with towel rail, simple do you want towels dry or damp, if former switch it on, if latter switch it off, no point in timer.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:29 am