Fitting a wood burning stove with a pot hanging cowl
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

Jake
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a wood burning stove with a pot hanging cowl

by Jake » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi. I'm hoping to get some tips on the correct sequence of events when fitting a wood burning stove with flue liner, specifically when using a pot hanging cowl. The "woodburner" project here is fabulous, and covers the main points. However, when you're replacing the chimney pot, you would fix the top end last. But with a pot hanging cowl, of course you can't do that, as the fixing between liner and cowl is inside the pot.

Parts purchased;

- stove with 5" collar on top
- 1m vitreous enamel stove pipe, 5" diameter
- 5m flue liner, 6" diameter (BTW it's a bungalow!)
- 5" to 6" adapter for connecting liner to pipe
- steel register plate with a 5" hole cut for the pipe
- assorted fire rope, fire cement

So, given that the chimney is straight and has no obstructions, (I can see clearly from the top to the bottom), my guess is that the order of doing things should be;

1) Fit the adaptor to the bottom of the liner with self tapping screws and cement.
2) Drop the liner down the chimney.
3) Lower the liner down an extra couple of feet on a bit of rope (so I'm not having to work awkwardly inside the chimney opening), and fit the vitreous enamel pipe to the adapter. (Exactly how?)
4) Pull the whole lot back up again, and fit the top of the liner to the pot hanging cowl, and attach the cowl to the pot.
5) That will leave the enamel pipe hanging to exactly the right height at the bottom end. (Assuming I've read the instructions on my measuring tape!) Now I slide the register plate over the enamel pipe, and fit into place just behind the lintel.
6) Slide the stove into place, and slot the enamel pipe into the stove collar, fixing with fire rope and cement.
7) Seal round the register plate with cement.

Is that the right sequence?
Thanks so much for any help! :)