Fitting Bathroom Cabinet into 2 Layer Plasterboard wall - What Fixings to use?
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kan_diy
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting Bathroom Cabinet into 2 Layer Plasterboard wall - What Fixings to use?

Post by kan_diy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi,
We plan to fit a mirrored bathroom cabinet (~20 Kg) into a plasterboard wall. The wall seems to have 2 layers of plasterboard followed by some hard material which may be plywood (tried tapping a small drill bit to find whether its stud or not).. The screws provided with cabinet are 45mm long but only go 30 mm into wall due to 15mm width of wooden collar in cabinet's back sheet.

When i tried screwing directly into plasterboard wall (with no fixings assuming plywood sheet after 2 layers of plasterboard), the screw didn't bite strong enough and cabinet was bit loose. I fear this may not work and cabinet will come down when i put mirror doors and fill up cabinet. The screw holes in cabinet are not spaced at 40/60cm and aligning them to stud work is not feasible.

Do i need any fixings for a 2 layer plasterboard wall? Even if i use any fixings, do i need longer screws to reach hard material after 2 layers of plasterboard ?? Or is there any alternate way of putting up cabinet..

Regards,
Diy-er

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fitting Bathroom Cabinet into 2 Layer Plasterboard wall - What Fixings to use?

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:01 pm

cut some 6mm ply to the exact size of the cabinet and fix it to the wall with screws and no nails grab adhesive. Leave it to set then fix your cabinet to that

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:46 am