Fitting door with concealed hinge to irregular width frame
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ajh
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting door with concealed hinge to irregular width frame

by ajh » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:11 pm

Hello,

We have a custom made TV unit and we want to add MDF doors to the front. We ideally want to use concealed hinges, but the thickness of the cabinet frame is irregular -- double the thickness of a regular cabinet frame (for e.g., the frames used by Ikea). So the hinges would have to be inset on the back of door more than normal, to ensure that the door covers right to the edge of the cabinet frame. Trouble is, I suspect this would mean that the door wouldn't be able to open properly.

If this makes sense to anyone, any ideas?!

Thanks!
ajh

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:52 am

Hi, If I have understood you correctly, which I may not have done, my only suggestion would be come up with a plan B. Concealed hinges have a maximum overlay which it sounds like you are going to exceed. You could fit them all right, you just won't be able to open the doors afterwards!

I think you have two choices - well only one if I am honest.

Either use conventional hinges which allow the door to fit inside the frame, or use special TV cabinet hinges (called pocket hinges) which allow the doors to open and then slide back into the cabinet.

The former means that you may not get the doors open wide enough to see the tv from all angles; and doubles the effective width of the cabinet even if you can. The latter is what almost all tv cabinets have, but are harder to fit. (but perfectly DIY-able with a bit of care)

Here you go ...

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:28 am

Sorry, I posted a link to a website that sells pocket hinges. I guess that isn't allowed here - which can be a real pain when you're only trying to be helpful. (Having said that if I was the moddy I wouldn't want my board over-run with link spam either!)

Issac Lord sell them (i'm sure others do too). Google for their website and go to the hinges section.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:17 am