fitting freestanding WM under kitchhen units

Postby openhouse » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:45 am

As the integrated wash. machines are far more expensive then the
same model freestanding, I was wandering, providing it fits, what else
can be a problem? Maybe the door of the kitchen unit not opening (or closing) properly? What should I check to make sure is going to be ok?
Is it a good idea or I should forget about it?
Thanx for any advice you can provide.
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:24 am

If you are thinking of putting a standard washer under a worktop and hoping to put a door on the front there will be several problems.

Firstly, The W/M is 600mm wide, same as the door so it won't cover the gap. Secondly, the W/M will be too far forward, and will stop the door closing and it will foul the hinges anyway. Thirdly, if you do fit a door, it will prevent the soap draw from opening.

The only way round this is instead of a 600mm worktop use a 665mm - the extra depth allows the W/M to be pushed further under and then widen the gap to 760mm which allows 2 x 400mm doors to fit over.

Postby TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:07 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!