Fitting Karndean Floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fitter
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting Karndean Floor

by fitter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:29 pm

I had Karndean flooring fitted 18 months ago. The base floor is old cupped and crowned floor boards, well screwed down. The fitters did not prepare the floorboards but stapled 4' x 2' 6mm ply to floorboards, then fitted Karndean. The floor is now showing signs of shape of floorboards. Should the base floor have been prepared in some way prior to ply being fitted to avoid this problem?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:53 pm

If the boards are that badly bowed I'd have had the lot up and replaced with 18mm ply.

If there are some minor ups and downs I use SLC to fill the dips before overplying.

6mm ply should be OK for Karndean but I screw or nail it down rather than stapling it. Screw or nails heads driven down below level of floor and filled or they will show through the vinyl.

harry69
Apprentice
Apprentice

by harry69 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:20 pm

6mm should be fine in most case's for karndean.
Most important that it is fixed with ring shank nails 18mm at regular intervals. IE: one every 6 inches or less. to take any movement out of the floor whatsoever..

Then the thing that has maybe been missed on yours at a guess, is that we then coat the floor with a compound by ardex called feather finish..
its like a very fine powdered screed. that is literally scraped over the floor to take out any dips, and the nail heads, gaps, joints..
Its fast setting in thin coats, so i usually do 3 coats, and end up with a perfect surface to work from..

I suspect that your fitters may have missed this...

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:30 pm

"I suspect that your fitters may have missed this..."

Exactly - so they didn't do it properly in the first place. Fetch 'em back in!

Edit: Kardean might just have something to say about it if the installer didn't follow the company's installation instructions - particularly if they are a Karndean approved installer. That might just be an incentive to them to come back.

harry69
Apprentice
Apprentice

by harry69 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:31 pm

[quote="rosebery"]"I suspect that your fitters may have missed this..."

Exactly - so they didn't do it properly in the first place. Fetch 'em back in!

Edit: Kardean might just have something to say about it if the installer didn't follow the company's installation instructions - particularly if they are a Karndean approved installer. That might just be an incentive to them to come back.[/quote]

Yes very much so..
I have to pop back to a kitchen this friday where a tile has lifted slightly in the doorway.
But im happy to go back and put it right as my reputation is hard earned and i also have this thing that is lost on some folks called pride in your work.

I would contact the fitters or whoever supplied your job ( as in a shop) or if you just had independent fitters, then get into them and tell them whats going on..
Also ask them a few questions on the prep work..Basically if they used feather finish compound and pressure sensitive adhesive..

Feel free to ask me anything im happy to help..if you were in the northwest, id come and have a look myself, so i could tut at what they have done..lol

goodluck..

Jessica444
Labourer
Labourer

by Jessica444 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:27 am

Can anyone recomend a Karndean Fitter who will cover the Wolverhampton Area. I'm looking for approx 35 square meteres to be laid in a lounge, kitchen, bathroom and hallway.

2Slow
Labourer
Labourer

We always

by 2Slow » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:58 pm

use a latex based screed over uneven floorboards before fitting ply - and finishing with feather finish. Amtico insist that that's how it's done and we also do it with Karndean.

thedoctor

Re: Fitting Karndean Floor

by thedoctor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:26 am

A pretty old post we know but one that is still hugely popular and coincidentally we have jusy found a fantastic answer to levelling floors. The link is to a really unique product called Zlevel whitch helps level concrete floors in a very simple way but it also explains the merits of self levelling compaunds and how to use them. https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/le ... floors.htm

dnb8769
Labourer
Labourer

by dnb8769 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Hello, I've just had Karndean Art Select laid all over my bungalow.It was put down over interlocking chipboard.The problem is now I can see the shadow and undulations of the joins in the chipboard.I feel now that it should have been laid over 9mm ply in big pieces.Can I get it rectified?Do you think it can be all taken up without any damage?

adrian48
Labourer
Labourer

by adrian48 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:26 am

Can anybody recommend a fitter of karndean around the bolton area in the north west?

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:27 pm