Fitting Kitchen units not abutting a wall
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TenaciousJohnny
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting Kitchen units not abutting a wall

by TenaciousJohnny » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi,

I want to fit ikea integrated washing machine & integrated dish washer units on a wall with a combi boiler on it. There are numerous pipes going into the bottom of the boiler so we cant have the units flush against the wall. There are limited options to move the pipes or boiler. Therefore I would like to install the units around 10 cm proud of the wall. I am getting a company to install the worktop which will have to be an extra 10 cm deep, & that isn't a problem. I was thinking of just fittitng a piece of timber against the wall at the same height of the units for the worktop to rest on. Was just wondering if the units will be solid enough if they aren't attached to the wall. Is the weight of the worktop enough to keep everything solid? Or should I build some kind of timber frame for the units to back onto?
TIA
Johnny

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Are they not next to another base unit that you could screw to?
If they screw the worktop to the base unit then it should be ok because the worktop would stop it moving.

I think it will be fine.

TenaciousJohnny
Labourer
Labourer

by TenaciousJohnny » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Thanks for the response Dan.
There will be a run of 3 units which, I will screw together. I will see how solid it looks once assembled & screwed together.

Cheers,

Johnny

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:33 pm