Fitting Skirting Boards
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Buzzard73
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting Skirting Boards

by Buzzard73 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:44 pm

All very simple in principle - done my research (much of it on here) and decided what to use, wow to fix it, how to deal with warping and uneven walls etc.... However....

I have bought 95mm high boards to replace the 45mm. The problem is that they won't go anywhere near flush to the walls and will leave something like a 6mm gap between the top and the wall because of the ridge of plaster that ends where the old boards finished.

Is there an easy way around this without leaving a veritable shelf and filling around the top of the boards?

I'd prefer not to have to chisel away at all the plaster as that won't leave me any area to no-nails the board to the wall.

I'm beginning to think moving is easier than renovating!!!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:35 pm

Just scrape the ridge (and only the ridge) off with a sharp stripping knife.

NMN is horribly expensive. Use Gripfill. Just as good and a lot cheaper. Comes in much less pretty packaging though.

Buzzard73
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Buzzard73 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:23 pm

I scraped the ridge off as suggested and the result is good. Thanks.
As the new boards are taller by 50mm, it gave me plenty of room to play with and I have a real good smooth edge now - so the boards fit flush to the wall.

I looked at NMN in B&Q etc and it is expensive - luckily Poundland had a load in for only a £1 :D

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:19 am