Fixing a 37inch lcd television to a plasterboard wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nikidenton
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing a 37inch lcd television to a plasterboard wall

by nikidenton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I am thinking about buying a 37 inch LCD telivision, However I live in a new build flat and the walls are plasterboard walls.
Is there anyway of fixing the television to the wall that is secure enough for me to not have to worry about it falling off or damaging the wall,
the wall I am thinking about fixing it to is plasterboard with no stud work or brick behind it.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi nikidenton,
Sounds like it's a dot"n"dab wall. There will be block work further back, so if you get longer enough fixings (MASONARY PLUGS) You should be okay it will give you an indication on the packaging the type of weight they can carry. Failing that depending on your DIY skills, you could consider cutting in to board and fixing wooden battens up to support your tv brackets then platering over.
Regards
KB

Grinnders
Labourer
Labourer

by Grinnders » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:22 pm

I have a similar dilemma with a smaller TV. However I watched the installation guy install my plasma. He used rawl bolts but effectively filled the gap between the blockwork and the plasterboard face with metal collars (by drilling a correspondingly larger hole but only as far as the block work).... kind of the equivalent of using 6 flat washers glued together on each bolt.

These "deep" washers were an appropriate depth to be flush with the platerboard which meant there was no way the plasterboard would get crushed by the back of the bracket as the bolts were tightened. To test we suspended an adult off the articulated arm !!!!!

Simple when you see it in action. However I don't know the correct name of these "deep" washers or where to find them. Anyone offer some suggestions please :?:

Kazza
Labourer
Labourer

by Kazza » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Have come over here as suggested!!!

The wall I want to use isn't an outside wall - it is a wall that seperates the kitchen and bedroom.
So going on that, is my only option to hack into the wall? (which I would really like to avoid if I could - in fact I think if that was the only option then I wouldn't even bother trying to get the microwave on the wall)

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:11 pm

kazza - go into the studwork.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:47 pm