Fixing a Microwave to an outside Wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
william.page58
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing a Microwave to an outside Wall

Post by william.page58 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:04 pm

:cry: I need to fix my microwave to my kitchen wall but it is an outside wall with plasterboard 3.5cm in front of that. I want to drill through the plaster board and fix into the brickwork behind it.I have already tried to fix to the plaster board and the fixings just come straight back through with just the brackets on let alone the microwave Hence I need to fix it to the outside brick wall so that when I tighten the screw it pulls the bracket tight onto the plaster board. Can you please advise me as to what fixing I should use and also avise me of a professional that could do the job for me cheaply as I am Disabled. Most important is finding out what fixing I need to make the brackets secure to the brick work. Eagerly awaiting a reply of any kind even if it is to tell me I'm stupid and should know it al ready. As long as I get the information I need to get the job finnished as my Kitchen is very cramped thankyou.
Yours,
Sincerely,
William Page.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Post by acsimpson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:38 am

What fittings have you used in the plaster board? Standard rawl plugs or similar wont work in plasterboard. If you haven't already then check the fitting to plasterboard project which should tell you everything you need to know.

I'm no expert, but if your plasterboard is too weak to work when using the correct fittings you have a few options.
locate a joist behind the plasterboard and fit the brackets to that.
Locate 2 joists and put a wooden batten between them to fit the brackets to.
Screw into the brick. I'm not aware of a fitting which would be designed to work with a 3.5cm gap between the wall and bracket so you may find you need to cut a hole in the plasterboard and insert some wooden battening behind it to support the brackets. Either attach the wood to the wall and then the brackets to the wood or use longer fittings to attach everything in one go.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:30 pm