Fixing beams to barn walls
Information, help and solutions to many issues encountered when converting barns and older buildings

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tradetalk
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing beams to barn walls

Post by Tradetalk » Mon May 07, 2007 12:17 pm

I want to fix beams around the walls of an old granite barn to form an upper floor area. I've worked out my joist spans etc but as the walls are uneven I am in a quandary as to how to fix the side beams to the walls (approx 600mm thick). My idea is to drill through the granite walls and bolt the beams to the walls using threaded bar (20mm?) with plates on both sides.
The beams will be around 4.2m long and 197mm H x 75mm wide.

At how many points should I fix each beam through the wall and is 20mm bar suitable? Will I need any down supports or will the beams be strong enough (there will be a CLS frame under them)?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri May 11, 2007 6:18 am

Plan sounds good but you need to get the centres checked by an engineer. The centres, beam size and fixings depend on the loading and this is something thats not safe to guess. A structural engineer can have this worked out for you in no time.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:26 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:02 am