Fixing hooks to plasterboard & ceiling board
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Celia Stanley
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing hooks to plasterboard & ceiling board

Post by Celia Stanley » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:06 am

I am about to hang artwork for my final degree show & the space I have been given has walls made of plasterboard (& I think the ceiling as well). What I need to do is screw multiple (40 odd) hooks (like cup hooks) into the wall or the ceiling (I have two options). I know you need special screws with a butterfly arrangement at the back for plasterboard but don't know if they can be used with hooks, or can be bought with hooks. Also would I be better to screw each hook in separately, or would I be better to put the hooks into some battens and screw those to the wall/ceiling?

The weight would not be huge as I am attaching fishing line to the hooks & then lightweight objects to the line. I am a complete novice DIYer so any help or advice would be gratefully received! Celia

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Celia Stanley,
Have a look at the fixing which looks like a corkscrew at the start of this project page.
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fi ... rboard.htm
You will then need to find hooks which will screw into the fixings - just match the thread size with the supplied screws.
end

Celia Stanley
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Celia Stanley » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks. If I go for the ceiling (which I have now confirmed is definitely plasterboard) do you think drilling 40 odd holes in it would weaken it too much? They would be about 20cms apart in rows of ten & the rows would probably be 25cms apart, maybe more. I'm having nightmares about the whole ceiling falling down now - perhaps I'll cancel my graduation ceremony!! Celia

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Celia Stanley,
Should not be a problem for light loading.
end

Celia Stanley
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Celia Stanley » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:45 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. Celia

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:34 pm