Fixing Ikea Lack Shelves that will be Holding Weight to Plasterboard Wall?
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Daisleybur
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing Ikea Lack Shelves that will be Holding Weight to Plasterboard Wall?

by Daisleybur » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:53 am

Hi, I'm a newbie homeowner in need of advice!

I'm looking to mount some Ikea Lack floating shelves (2 x 110cm and 2 x 190cm) on the living room wall, but it's plasterboard. I put two up myself and fixed them to the wall with these: http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/en/products/lightweight-fixings/plasterboard-fixings/dra-self-drive-fixings/dra-metal/ (which were recommended to me by Screw Fix for hanging a bathroom cabinet, which is still holding perfectly fine even though it's not in the studs) but I'm not confident that they will hold with a lot of heavy books on them!

The tv is mounted in a corner into studs, and it weighs 14kg, plus the large bracket, so I'm wondering if just mounting the shelves into the studs will do the job, or if I'd be better off getting some shelves that sit on brackets and having those screwed into the studs? And whichever option, what fixings/screws would be best? Are the ones I've got any good? (currently have those holding up curtain poles, bathroom cabinet and various pieces of art etc)

Basically, I'm at a total loss as to what to do! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mad110
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Fixing Ikea Lack Shelves that will be Holding Weight to Plasterboard Wall?

by Mad110 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:55 pm

If you can locate the studs it would be easier to get a good fixing, if not have a look at gripitfixings.co.uk., they offer plasterboard fixings that can carry 90 kg per fixing.

Daisleybur
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Fixing Ikea Lack Shelves that will be Holding Weight to Plasterboard Wall?

by Daisleybur » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:57 pm

Thank you very much!

I've bought a stud finder and if possible I'll attach the shelves to those, if not I've also bought some gripit fixings just in case! Thank you very much :)

If I can attach these to the studs, what screws do you recommend I use?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm