Fixing Items in New Flat to Thick Plasterboard
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
HBP
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing Items in New Flat to Thick Plasterboard

Post by HBP » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi

My girlfriend has just moved into a new flat and I am just undertaking the task of putting fittings up for her. First thing is quite a heavy mirrored bathroom cabinet.

I was expecting to find the internal walls to be 15mm plasterboard, or similar, but on taking out the shaver socket in the wall have found it to be what seems to be some sort of plasterboard 40mm thick.

Temporarily I have just put the cabinet up with wood screws while I research the ideal fixing. They seem to be holding very well.

I then started figuring with this thickness that a plain screw probably grips better than any wall-plug may, so the screws could be all I need.

I guess my questions are what is this material likely to be, what is the recommended method of affixing heavy items to it and am I likely to find all the internal walls of the flat to be similarly constructed?

I have a very heavy 2 metre mirror and a 48" TV to mount also.

Thank you.

Shaker2go Ltd
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Fixing Items in New Flat to Thick Plasterboard

Post by Shaker2go Ltd » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi

You will probably find that there is a double layer for acoustic purposes. The best kind of fixings for this are these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-spri ... pack/98223

Spring toggles.

You drill a hole and the butterfly part springs out and you can tighten the screw against the plasterboard. That should be fine for most kind of brackets. Make sure you get the correct sort for your thickness of plasterboard, we have used them before and they work well.

Kind regards,

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:04 am