Fixing Joists to Party Wall
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cerwood
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing Joists to Party Wall

Post by cerwood » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:42 pm

I am planning to put a suspended floor in the loft to as the current floor is sagging.

I is a terraced house and I was going to lay the joists across the house from wall to wall which is approx 5m. I have checked the regs and I believe 75 x 220 timber is recomended for this span. I was thinking of bolting a timber to the walls and then using joist hangers to span the room.

Would this method be sufficient and what should I use to attach the timber supports to the walls?

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

Post by LCL » Sat May 17, 2008 4:57 pm

cerwood

The size looks fine, C16 or C24, (just looked it up in the trada span tables).

As you are fixing to the party wall what will be a floor joist and therefore you are alterating the loadings on the party wall, the Party Wall etc Act 1996 is efective. You will need to serve a S(2) - Party Structure Notice. You can serve this yourself onto your adjoining owner, with a drawing showing the works you propose. If they dissent to the works, you cannot represent yourself and will need to appoint either an agreed surveyor to act for both sides of the wall or a surveyor for each side (both sets of fees will be your liability).

Hope this helps.

LCL

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1