Fixing kitchen cabinets to plasterboard
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JLew76
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing kitchen cabinets to plasterboard

by JLew76 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:59 pm

Hi,
Can anyone give us some advice on fixing new kitchen wall cabinets to plasterboard.

We only have a 20mm cavity between the plasterboard and the concrete wall behind it, which is too small for us to use most of the heavy duty plasterboard fixings - we can't push them in far enough for them to work as they should!

It has been recommended to us that we put a standard heavy duty wall plug into the concrete behind and screw directly into this, but I'm concerned that this leaves a lot of the screw, and the plasterboard, with no support.

The longest wall plugs that we've found so far are 50mm, which we could leave in the pasterboard, but will there then be enough in the concrete to support the weight!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Thank you!
J

Gareth
Labourer
Labourer

by Gareth » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:31 pm

I used the extra long plugs which come with screws (about 5"long)which are used for installing double glazing units to put my cupboards up and this has worked fine with plenty of length into the solid wall. DIY places sell them

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:58 pm