fixing kitchen units to lathe and plaster
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
adisalwhite
Labourer
Labourer

fixing kitchen units to lathe and plaster

by adisalwhite » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:48 pm

Hi

I've just bought a Victorian house and am fitting a new kitchen.

Can anyone advise me what screws/bolts I need to attach the units to lathe and plaster. The problem is that my units do not match the position of the vertical joists. There are no horizontal joists to attach anything to.

Thankyou for any help that is offered.

Cheers Adi

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi adisalwhite,
A tricky one this, not a big fan of attaching anything to lathe plaster walls. usually find that there unsound. But the best standard fixing to use on hollow walls is the interest/hollow wall anchor come varios duties light-heavy.
If I was fixing Kitchen units to this type of wall i'd consider locating where i was hanging wall cabinets and opening wall and put some horizontal nogins in and patch up. It'll be hidden behind unit and more secure.
Regards
KB

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Not sure it will suit the situation, but in the past we have solved issues like this by screwing a cut sheet of 18mm ply to the wall behind the units (or even the entire wall). This will be screwed to the main studs with coutersunk screws. You should then be able to obtain a good fixing into the ply with normal wood screws. The advantage of doing the whole wall is that you can tile over it to areas where there will be no units. The disadvantage is cost.

Maybe worth a thought....?

LCL

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:23 pm