Fixing Kitchen wall cupboards to Plasterboard??????
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cjm1973
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing Kitchen wall cupboards to Plasterboard??????

by cjm1973 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have just bought a Kitchen from Wickes to replace our existing & very outdated one!! i keep coming up with more & more problems, the biggest one is that i have 8 wall cupboards (different sizes) & both walls are plasterboard!!!!!!!!! Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to attack this??, Do i need to rip off the plasterboard fix a baten all the way round the height of the cupboards then re attach plasterboard or is there an easier way???
Any help would be very much apprieciated. :evil:

BonnieDog
Labourer
Labourer

by BonnieDog » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Hello, this is my first post as your question prompted me to join the forum. You have probably got sorted by now but here goes. We have cabinets from the same supplier and a plasterboard wall with vertical studs spaced about 40 cm. The cabinets are 30 cm and 60 cm wide and none of the studs is at a cabinet corner where the wall mounting brackets should go. We bought a strip of steel 50x3mm and the length of the cabinet run. We found out where the studs were and fixed the steel strip to them with coach screws 50x6mm. Height of the top of the strip is 45mm below where you want the top of the cabinets. We made shims (large square washers) from the offcut of the steel strip, so that the strip is fixed 3mm out from the wall. You can then hang your cabinets on this strip instead of on the wall mounting brackets supplied in the kit. You will need to cut a slot out of the sides of the cupboards in way of the strip so that you can pull the tops of the cabinets back against the wall.

Hope this helps.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:27 am