Fixing kitchen wall unit
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Python
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing kitchen wall unit

Post by Python » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:59 pm

Hi

I'm having an Ikea kitchen fitted at the moment. The fitter has used 60mm screws for the wall units (brick wall) and says that's fine, but I don't want to take any risks so would prefer 80mm or even 100mm. Also the instructions clearly show pan head screws and warn against using countersunk screws (which he has).

My kitchen is pretty small so I'm going to have to fully load the cupboards, and also my brother had a cabinet fall off the wall not so long ago so I don't want to take any chances!

Looking through a Screwfix catalogue (just what I have to hand) the only screws of the required length (and frame fixings too) are countersunk.

Any recommendations on what to use? Even if the verdict is that what's there already is probably ok I'd rather go the extra mile for peace of mind.

thanks in advance

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:21 pm

Python,
Allowing for a plaster depth of 10mm the screws used will be 50mm in the brickwork, provided 5mm+ screws have been used there should not be any problems.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:29 pm

You are paying your fitter to do the job for you. If he says what he has used is fine then you should accept that even if you have reservations. He is, presumably, giving you a workmanship guarantee which would cover any problems during the period for which it is under guarantee. That should give you peace of mind.

Having said that you could instruct him to change the screws to a longer pan head type but he would be his rights if he then told you that this would cost you quite a bit more money - removing cabinets from wall, removing wallplugs, redrilling holes to greater depth, new wallplugs, re-fit and re-align cabinets and in those circumstances I believe you would have no choice but to agree. It would probably result in an extension of time for completion as well.

You pays yer money, you takes your choice.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:48 am