Fixing Plasma TV onto stud partition wall
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Fixing Plasma TV onto stud partition wall

by Joiner_Mike » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi all. A question for my fellow joiners.
I have recently being asked by a customer to fix a bracket to a stud partition wall for a plasma which is a monstrous 5ft wide 35 inch high and 70kg's in weight. The only way I can think is to strip the plasterboard off one side of the wall. Fix more 4"x2" framework, re-plasterboard and skim the wall.
I can't think of any other options. Any joiners who have tackled this sort of task in a different way? If so please tell me.
Mainly due to wall having very old plater coving and plaster daedo rail, which i don't fancy trying to match back up to.

aj69
Labourer
Labourer

by aj69 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Joiner_mike.
You are correct the only way world be to strip of the plaster board and re-enforce the stud wall. You will need to check though how strong the wall is in generall top and bottom as this needs to be solid as ive seen some poor fixings in these areas. I would also screw as against using a nail gun.

Or they buy a tv stand :D

carpstu
Apprentice
Apprentice

by carpstu » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:50 pm

i would fix a bit of ply where i was going to fix the bracket and shape the edges to show if needed so i could get a better fixing in the ply then i could fix the bracket to ply

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:29 pm

not a bad idea carpstu, provided that the fall of the joists is such that it lends itself to the relative desired position of the tv bracket. otherwise ply will be visible either side or at least one side of the tv. also i'[d want some through fixings similar to plasterboard toggles - screws alone i wouldn't trust to not pull thru the ply.

though personally i don't think i'd sleep comfortably at night unless i'd put more noggins and studs in :) can't really see any tenable shortcuts that would give the same peace of mind.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:56 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:26 am