fixing skirting boards
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gaurya
Apprentice
Apprentice

fixing skirting boards

by gaurya » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi, I am trying to fix new skirting boards but I am having problems. I have tried nailing them in but no luck, and also I have tried screwing them in but the screws do not fit in tightly, they keep spinning. So I was just wondering whether or not I am using the wrong screws or wall plugs.

If anyone can tell me which screw size and wall plugs I need to use will be very much appreciated. Or any other way i can overcome this problem.

Thankyou.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:34 pm

sounds like you've made the hole in the wall too big or used a cheap drill that bounces around and enlarges the hole.

what size hole did you drill in the wall? what size of rawl plug and what size of screw? is the screw fat enough and long enough?

i would drill a neat 7mm hole, brown rawl plugs and a size 10 or 12 screw.

gaurya
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gaurya » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:20 pm

[quote="chris_on_tour2002"]sounds like you've made the hole in the wall too big or used a cheap drill that bounces around and enlarges the hole.

what size hole did you drill in the wall? what size of rawl plug and what size of screw? is the screw fat enough and long enough?

i would drill a neat 7mm hole, brown rawl plugs and a size 10 or 12 screw.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
I used a bosch 7mm drill bit. is that ok? I did use brown wall plugs but on the back of the pack it said use screw sizes 4-6! Are there different wall plugs that i should consider using?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:38 pm

obviously the rawl plug is turning in the wall. try using a fatter screw, a size 10 perhaps. this will expand the plug more and hopefully get it to bite. if it still turns a couple of matchsticks wedged either side of the plug can help to hold it whilst the screw bites.

did you manage to drill a clean 7mm hole? its quite easy enlarge the hole if you don't keep the drill nice and level when drilling.

gaurya
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gaurya » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:47 am

I have got it to work. Thanks for your help. I got size 10 screws and they seemed to do the trick.
Thank you

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:53 pm