Fixing things to walls made of straw
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oldcatton
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing things to walls made of straw

Post by oldcatton » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:29 pm

I have just had my bathroom re-fitted, including a shower put over the bath. I am looking to buy a shower screen to go over part of the bath rather than a rail and curtain. The screen would need to be fixed to an internal wall made of compressed straw.
What would be the correct fittings to use for compressed straw?
I know that the wall is strong enough to support the weight as my gas boiler is attached to a straw wall.
Thank you.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:42 am

Hi oldcatton,
All I can suggest is to take a look at the fixing holding your boiler to wall and use that type. as straw wall is something that I have never had the pleasure to fix to! I can not really help much more. There's all sorts of different wall fixings available (have a look a screwfix website) I'd guess that you would need something that expands as the screw is tighten to give you a good fix, but again not sure of material strength of compressed straw.
Regards
KB

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:15 pm

trawl the internet, do a google search. there are fixings out there specifically designed for straw.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:25 pm

Oh how I love straw walls. The straw expands to fill any holes you put in it so it is an absolute nightmare!!!!!!!!!

I use ordinary rawl plugs but only knock them in as far as the tile so you have the tile and plasterboard as support. With a shower screen, before you tighten the screws, run a bead of clear silicone down the back as when dry, this will support the weight without worrying about the fixings.

Be careful to use the correct size screw to rawl plug otherwise you will crack the tile.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:42 pm