Fixing Toilet Bowls To The Floor

Postby Billy Whiteside » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:56 am

My plumber wants to stick a toilet bowl to a tiled floor rather than fixing it with srews. Is this sensible ? :shock: [color=brown][/color][size=18][/size]
Billy Whiteside
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby matthewm1965 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:34 pm

I have stuck down two now in our house, using silicone sealant.
Neither have moved yet after a year of daily use.
Progress to next rank:

Postby chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:58 pm

better to use screws although it is quite common for plumbers these days to use silicone alone to secure toilet pans. personally i use both. it should hold fine.

plus side it does save making holes in the tiles.

Postby plumbbob » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:24 pm

I always stick the toilet down with silicone whenever an underfloor heating mat has been installed. I know the mat shouldn't actually be under the toilet, but am too scared to even think about drilling anywhere near it.

Once stuck, as matthewm1965 says, they don't move.

Postby Clyde » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:49 pm

I actually had this dilemma a few weeks a go. In the end, after thinking long and hard I went with screwing to the floor (tiled) with the screws/bolts that came with it, and nice chrome screw caps. If in the future I need to get to water inlet/soil pipe (everythng is enclosed/back to wall toilet) I just undo the side screws and slide the toilet pan out nice and easy!

I've been in a position in the past were pans have been stuck down with sealant and its a nightmare prising it from the sealent, then you've got all the sealant to scrape away if you then re-seal.
Progress to next rank:

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!