Fixing wash basin to brick wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bemused
Tradesman
Tradesman

Fixing wash basin to brick wall

by bemused » Wed May 13, 2009 1:47 pm

I have a new wash basin to fix to a freshly plastered brick wall. I think I'm going to tile first then fix the basin but I'm unsure as the best way to ensure it's safely screwed to wall without getting too enthusiastic with the spanners and cracking tiles and/or the basin.

It only has two mounting holes which are about 20mm diameter. I intend using rawl bolts and large washers, unless someone here suggests a better method, but I can't help thinking there are some massive forces involved (it's quite deep front-to-back) and I'm having trouble believing the thing will stay on the wall. I'm going to add a semi-pedestal but it covers the basin mounting holes so the basin has to be installed first then the pedestal, so it seems to me it's just cosmetic rather than providing support.

The good news is I know the hole positions and they are mid-brick, but can anyone please tell me how I can know when I've tightened the bolts as much as I should?

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Wed May 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Would suggest that Rawlbolts are rather OTT.
All basins and pedestals are designed to be self supprting and if you only have 2 screw holes, that is all you need.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 am

Use a Fischer basin fixing kit then you have no worries about overtightening.

It's one of these: http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... 9270_x.jpg

The semi ped provides more support than you think. So you need to make sure that its fixed at the proper height and properly as well. You'll probably have got one of these Fischer kits with it

Google "fischer.co.uk/befestigung/verkaufsunterlagen/pdf/katalog2008/245.pdf"

Cheers

bemused
Tradesman
Tradesman

by bemused » Thu May 14, 2009 11:43 am

Many thanks for the feedback, I'll put my trust in Mr Fischer!

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:39 pm