Fixings for double plasterboard
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bleicker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fixings for double plasterboard

by bleicker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi there,

I've moved to a new flat and I'm having some trouble to fix things on plasterboard. I've tried the self drill screw like this one below:
Google "s7g3.scene7.com/is/image/ae235/47347_P?$p$"

On walls that are facing other flats or the external corridor that gives access to the flat, it drills 1/3 of its length then it turns itself away from the hole and breaks. Looks like these areas use a very thick or perhaps double plasterboard as I used a long screw(50mm) and I could still feel plasterboard in the end. On the walls dividing the inner side of the flat, these self drill fixing works fine as the plasterboard doesn't have any wood behind I think.

Now I'm planning to fix a TV to the wall that probably has brick behind or double pasteboard. This wall faces the outer side of the building.
I'm afraid that again the self drill fixing won't be able to get through and will make a mess. Also I'm not sure if it will be strong enough to hold a 23Kg TV.

Could you guys please advise me on what is best do to in this case? I need to find out what the interior of the wall is made of and a way to fix things on thick plasterboard.

thanks for your time helping me on this :)

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

fixing

by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:58 am

Use an sds drill with a masonry bit and drill through the plasterboard into the wall,Then use stardrive fixings,they screw straight into the brickwork without need of a rawplug length of the screw vary from 70mm-150mm

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm