Flat roof repair / re-roof question
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

seanxkelly
Labourer
Labourer

Flat roof repair / re-roof question

by seanxkelly » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:10 pm

I have a flat roof above my garage and utility room - the two run into each other so it's like having a double length (but standard width) garage.

One bit of the roof keeps leaking and over the past couple of years I've kept applying coats of roof repair paint and sticking bits of felt on it.

It's got to the point now where these bodge repairs simply don't last.

I want to sort this out but after getting some quotes can't afford a pro :(

Most of the roof is pretty good - it's just the back metre or so that keeps leaking.

So, here's my plan - I would appreciate some comments:

(1) Wait until everything is dry on top !

(2) Screw down some new boards (on top of the existing roof) to make sure everything is as flat as possible. I was thinking exterior plywood would be needed here but perhaps some chipboard underneath this as the ply is quite thin and people walk on my roof (window cleaners, etc)

(3) Tape over any joins between the boards

(4) Using the paint-on felt adhesive, lay down garage roof underlay and then some garage roof top felt

(5) Have a non-leaking roof

I know this isn't really the best solution but I'm after something quick'n'cheap. I appreciate this may not last many years but I just need to sort something out now.

Anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks,

Sean.

It is currently Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:42 am