Flat roof
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SMUDGE9
Labourer
Labourer

Flat roof

by SMUDGE9 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:05 am

I have recently purchased an old granite top floor flat (whole floor) which has a flat roof. Following heavy rain a few months back a small wet patch appeared on one of the ceilings. This dried up and i decided to leave contacting a roofer until spring time to check it out. A few days ago another 2 patches the size of a hand each appeared overnight. Like most of the country we have heavy snow so i am presuming it is this that has caused further damage.

I only know a little about flat roofs and know that sometimes these can be patched etc. Is it likely that it can be repaired or if not what are the average costs of replacing a flat roof? The flat covers 57sq metres i think and is all under flat roof.

Desperately worried about the costs and it is 2 floors up (only one other owner is responsible for the shared costs)

Please help if you can give any advice!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:09 pm

SMUDGE9,
Chances are that scaffolding will be needed, final cost will depend on the condition of the roof structure below the felt, how complicated the roof is and whether you want improvements - like a warm roof. Expect somewhere between £2000 and £5000 maybe even more if you are in central london.
Gunge can be painted on the roof and some of these include fibres to strengthen any splits. If you try this make sure the roof is dry and clean.
end

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:32 pm

The best thing to do is to get up there and take a careful look at the roof.
Flat roofs are not usually flat and taking a look will help you to understand what's happening.
Before you get up there, carefully measure the position of the damp patches, this will help you when you are checking the roof. Keep in mind that water not only runs down, it can run upwards when a strong wind is blowing, it can also travel a long way.
If you don't take a look yourself, any subsequent person you do employ to do so can tell you anything and you may be ripped off.
Take a look, take some photos.
It may be something simple like a blocked gutter that you can fix in a minute or two.

youasked
Tradesman
Tradesman

Snow Joke

by youasked » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:47 pm

The snow can create leaks above the flashing as it become thicker then starts to melt. I would also look at Liquid Rubber which is gettinga lots more good trade-press these days as it is faster and more flexible than fibre based sealants. This stuff will go over just about anything and has 1100% flexibility. 99% memory. roof-coaters use it quite alot made bt Lefarge Industries. I have details here of you need them.

Smudge mentions London, R U there or where ????

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Local help at hand!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:17 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:58 pm