Flickering light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
exbbc
Labourer
Labourer

Flickering light

by exbbc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:15 pm

Strange one this.... Have replaced a ceiling light that worked normally.

The new fitting when used with a low energy bulb works fine, but when switched off, the bulb flickers ad infinum. When low energy bulb is replaced with a normal bulb, the light flickers once when switched off then stays off.

Anyone know why?

Bryan

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu May 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi, Bryan,
does switch have an illuminated surround by chance? It is known that they will pass enough current to keep light flickering, if so disconnect wires from plate at switch.
If no surround then switch could be leaky, try new switch.
regards SPARX

exbbc
Labourer
Labourer

My flickering light

by exbbc » Thu May 01, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanx Sparxx :)

No illuminated surround.... will try a new switch (3 switches in one socket).

Bryan

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri May 02, 2008 9:53 am

Most bulbs are of a coiled coil construction which mean they are not pure resistive but have some inductive and capacitive component as well. It this should be in tune with the output from the electronics of the dimmer switch this can happen also varying brightness. Changing either the bulb or the dimming switch can cure it. It can also happen when the wrong type of dimming switch is fitted. There are some special discharge bulbs that can be dimmed with special dimming switches using these switches on standard bulbs can cause problems.

I would try changing bulbs first to another make as cheap option then try switch.

Discharge bulbs covers florescent fitting and most energy saving bulbs.

exbbc
Labourer
Labourer

Flickering light

by exbbc » Fri May 02, 2008 10:58 am

Thanks for info Eric and Sparx

Have bought a new MK triple switch which on the package said it was "2W" which I assumed to mean it was 2 way.

On opening the package, each of the three switches was marked "1 Way"

One of the switches is required to turn off 2 lights, one switch upstairs and the other down.

I would think that the new switch will do this as it has L1, L2 and C on each of the three switches and each connection is fitted with a clamping screw terminal. I do not want, however, to risk shop soiling the new switch if it will not do as needed. (It cost over £9).

my new switch cand be found on page 325 of the Screwfix catalogue.

Bryan

PS My wife switched off the flickering light and ---- don't they always---turned the pleasant flickering light into unbearable flashing light in the off position!!!!
Last edited by exbbc on Sun May 04, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri May 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Ups sorry wrong post. That answer was meant for another post. It is an odd fault. As I am sure you have seem florescent tubes held under power lines can light with out any power and where cables are run next to each other you can get a transformer effect but I would think this is unlikely and more likely to be carbon build up inside the switch allowing a small amount of current to link through.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:46 pm