Flickering Lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
s.freeman66
Labourer
Labourer

Flickering Lights

by s.freeman66 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:39 am

Hi we have just had an electrician fit new consumer units in the house and in our garage.
The lights are wired for the garage on the main fuse side of the consumer unit and the same for the house.
But when they are turned off the tubes for the strip lights in the garage still flicker and will only stop if we cut the main fuse off in the garage consumer unit.
Also one of the indoor bedroom lights was flickering too, but we have tried changing the bulb and this seems to have cured this one.
We have asked our electrician and he is pondering over a solution.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how to cure this?
Thanks
Samantha

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed May 14, 2008 12:14 pm

First thing I would check are if neutral and line are correct way around.
Second and really same thing check the switch is on line not neutral maybe the neutral and line were wrong way around in consumer unit and were also wrong at light and correcting one has upset things.
It will be interesting to see what you find. I have come across consumer units marked up wrong which is why a full inspection and test is recommended after one is fitted also required for Part P if you go to projects part P and follow links and down load pdf file on page 23 I think it shows the paperwork the electrician should fill in and forward to building control or if registered his clearing agent have you had a copy of this? Also you should get a completion cert from someone within 30 days you will need this if you ever want to sell the house.

s.freeman66
Labourer
Labourer

by s.freeman66 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Thanks for advise - Got Electrician to come back and sort out - He says he had a BLOND MOMENT (No offence to blonds especially as I am) - he put the tails the wrong way round in the new box - IDIOT - (NOT WHAT MY OTHER HALF SAID !!!!)

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue May 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks for reply nice to see I got one right.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:54 am