float & set vs dot & dab
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aj_iliacus
Labourer
Labourer

float & set vs dot & dab

Post by aj_iliacus » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:04 pm

I'm having a side extension to a small end terrace built 1780, including downstairs shower/ toilet and cloakroom. I had anticipated that float & skim would be used, however the builder is trying to convince me that dot and dab is better. I'm not happy with this, particularly as one of the rooms will be more prone to damp i.e. the shower room (may even choose to have it as a wet room) and am concerned that a) his plasterers are not skilled enough for the more complex skills requirements of float and skim and b) he is trying to save £££ on his quote.

Any advice much appreciated

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:23 am

Dot and dab drywall is almost, if not actually, totally universal these days and there are some pretty good reasons for choosing this method too. I have stripped many many bathrooms with these type of walls and installed bathrooms and wet rooms with these type of walls, and never see anything worse with this type of construction compared to any other.

You should not have damp in a wall. If you do, traditional plaster will fail just as fast as dot and dab.

Because of the building's age, you could argue it needs to be plastered to be in keeping with the rest of the property and his plasterers would no doubt make a good job of it too, but it will take lots longer to complete and take ages to dry.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:20 am