floatvalve leak - where to disconnect
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alanatdrm
Labourer
Labourer

floatvalve leak - where to disconnect

by alanatdrm » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:55 am

Hi, just woke up this morning to find water all over the bathroom floor, water dripping down into the kitchen and the overflow from the toilet cistern running like a river. I believe the float valve is at fault, as there was water spraying out.

I have turned off the water, but i'm unsure about where to disconnect the float valve as I have never done this before. My Colins DIY manual says that it must be unscrewed where it enters the side of the cistern, but on my one, it enters through a plastic pipe at the cistern base.
Could someone have a look at the photo, and hopefully suggest how to go about this.

Also, I believe new float valves come in three different types. High, medium and low pressure. From what the Colins manual suggests, I reckon I will need the Low pressure variety, as my cold water tank is in the loft, just above the bathroom. Could you confirm this?

Many thanks,

stephen.s
Apprentice
Apprentice

by stephen.s » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:48 pm

where the pipe feeds into the bottom of the cistern on the toilet, there will be a nut visible - undo this. above this, there should be a plastic nut holding the float valve into position. if you undo this, you should be able to just lift the float valve out of the cistern. fitting a new one is the revers procedure, just remeber to fit all rubber and plastic washers back in place - new ones - when re-fitting the new float valve. MAKE SURE THE WATER IS OFF BEFORE OU UNDO THE NUT OR YOU WILL GET WET!!!! Any more probs just post them on here and i will keep an eye out for you. good luck

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:52 am