Floor beam loading
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RogerW
Labourer
Labourer

Floor beam loading

Post by RogerW » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:28 am

Can anyone help please. I am in France having an extension constructed by French guys who don't seem to worry about calculations with respect to floor loading.

A 1st floor lounge floor of area 8x7mts is to consist of 200x75 joists at 4mts long connecting at a mid point of the 8mts onto a cross beam consisting of 2x 200x75 joists bolted together and spanning the 7mts. This cross beam will sit on support walls at either end but is in fact also supported at a point at 5mts of its length by a hall wall underneath, thus the max span is 5mts not the full 7mts.

My question is- given this cross member was originaly specified as an RSJ but French guys do not seem to like joining joists into the 'I' of an RSJ, and given the beam will be taking the weight of all the actual floor joists at right angles to it -is 2x 200x75 bolted together satisfactory for the purpose.

Grateful for all knowledgeable opinion.

RW

mikester
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mikester » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Steel would be better. Timber will work as long as your not planning a hot tub, but the floor may have a bit of 'bounce' when its finished. Use the proper metal joist hangers or the floor may creek.

RogerW
Labourer
Labourer

Post by RogerW » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks Mikester. If I insist these French guys use an RSJ 2 questions arise.
1. What size RSJ is good for 5mt span with all joists abutting- 8x6/10x8???
2. What is the proper way to connect joists to an RSJ apart from notching into the 'I' section. I don't like this idea either as it seems to me the notch in is only reliant on the depth into the 'I' which is probably only a couple of inches.
RogerW

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1