floor insulation in a residential barn conversion
Information, help and solutions to many issues encountered when converting barns and older buildings

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jamezevani
Labourer
Labourer

floor insulation in a residential barn conversion

Post by jamezevani » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:54 pm

i have just bought a abrn with planning permission to convert to residential.
I am discussing with the builder ways of getting the floor insulated to meet b reg standards.
he is saying to me the only was is to dig out the existing concrete floor and put in the insulation and bring back the level to simlar as it is now. Obviously this involves a lot of digging out, the floor measures 11m by 7m.
Does anybody know of the cheapest/ most effecient way to meet the b-regs stadanrds?
I do not really want to increase the floor level signicantly over it now.
Another question concerns a block built outbuilding that the planners forgot to tell me to demolish - it can link into the house, it is single block and i can do the internall insulation and again it looks as if im going to have to dig out the floor, the roof pitch is very modest and the builder says i need to increase this to accommodate a pitched roof, at present the roof has all the joists and support a corrguated roof, it would be a lot wasier to keep the same pitch as present, so i can sort out myself, is there ny suitble roofing material that would enable me to do this?

roselath
Apprentice
Apprentice

barn floor

Post by roselath » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:09 am

Hi james, its a pig but I had to dig the floors out using a breaker and a wheelbarrow. Upside is that you can ensure that any waterproofing you do is thorough.
I'm just about to re-point below ground level on the internal walls followed by a scratch coat on which I will use then Thoroseal. I'm not to far ahead of you so would be great to share knowledge.
I'll keep an eye on this area but you ca also get me on pcfglimited@aol.com

Steve

jamezevani
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jamezevani » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:01 pm

steve,
i ihave come to the conclusion that is what i am going to have to do, its going to be a pig of a job but would lso be benefitial as it give me the opportunity to lower the ground level, which would enable a doorway out the front, at he moment the floor level is two blocks higher thn the existing openings. i will send some pictures over to you via the e-mail. my e-mail is jamezevani@tiscali.co.uk

roselath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by roselath » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:35 pm

Ok James good stuff- hopefully we can liase alog the way. I'm just shuttering footuings for the internal walls and putting in radon sumps
talk soon.

Steve

rollo7855
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rollo7855 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:51 pm

Hiya

I have a stone barn still awaiting planning concent & conversion to domectic dwelling. I have noticed your comments on thermal requierments for flooring & would be interested in hearing what you've done to comply with b'regs re floor spec's. what type of insulation has been put in, thickness etc. how far on any of you are with your conversions & what problems you have had to overcome so far?

Regards

Martin

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:25 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:29 am