Floor levelling compound problem - cracking and crazing
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BarneyMcgrew
Labourer
Labourer

Floor levelling compound problem - cracking and crazing

by BarneyMcgrew » Tue May 22, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi - I've looked through this forum and associated projects but can't find any help so far. :(
I'm having a solid oak floor laid and in preperation for that the existing concrete sub-floor has been levelled using Wickes Floor Levelling compound. This was done last Friday but as the compound has dried out, some areas have crazed and cracked. If you tap on the surface of these areas it sounds like blown plaster. Obviously the compound has not bonded to the sub floor. Also, although I've no prior experience of this product, I did expect it to dry out to an even grey colour and not the light beige/kharki/grey patchwork that it seems to be drying to. Does this sound right? I need to reslove this quickly as the floor fitters are booked and if I miss their available time slot, I'm in deep do-do. I've just about got enough time to re-do areas but I need to know what might have caused the problem and how to resolve it. Should I use a different compound or bonding agent (I used PVA last time)? I hope somebody can give me some timely advice on this. Thanks.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed May 23, 2007 7:25 am

Sounds like the PVA was not good enough Barney. Most SL compounds have their own bonding agent or tell you to use the latex they come with to bond but it certainly hasn't bonded by the sound of it and there are no choices that we are aware of but to do it again.

BarneyMcgrew
Labourer
Labourer

by BarneyMcgrew » Wed May 23, 2007 8:33 am

Thanks for quick reply. Looks like a day of remedial work ahead. Out of interest, would you expect any cracking or surface crazing in the screed when you use one of these flooring compounds or should it be absolutely smooth? i.e. if it cracks or crazes but seems solid, does it mean there is a problem?
Thanks again. :?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 pm