Flooring, thermoplastic
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nearlyman
Tradesman
Tradesman

Flooring, thermoplastic

Post by Nearlyman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:09 pm

The vinyl flooring on my solid concrete kitchen floor in my four year-old house - laid by flooring contractors a few days before we moved in (winter time) - has, over time, stretched and produced ripples "like the Severn's tidal bore" at the edges on the longest axis of the one-piece sheet. The edges only were stuck down using a linen based double sided adhesive strip. This I have found to my cost, in a "previous life", is extremely difficult to get off!
The ripple is in the form of a single "wave" and runs practically the full width of the room: it starts about four inches from the edge and ends roughly where the adhesive strip begins, at which point it is flat. As this "wave" now runs across the main entrance to and from the kitchen it is posing a trip hazard.
How do I cure it please?

Godfather
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Godfather » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi Nearlyman. you rightly gave the cause as fitted in cold weather, the only method to rid yourself of this unsafe hazard is to gently lift edges off the tape [a hair dryer might help with softening the adhesive tape] and let the floor covering ease itself by riding up the skirting a little and then trim again. it may take a month or so, depending how warm the room temperature is. cover the offending tape with paper. Hope this helps.

Nearlyman
Tradesman
Tradesman

ripple in vinyl floor covering

Post by Nearlyman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:05 pm

[quote="Godfather"]Hi Nearlyman. you rightly gave the cause as fitted in cold weather, the only method to rid yourself of this unsafe hazard is to gently lift edges off the tape [a hair dryer might help with softening the adhesive tape] and let the floor covering ease itself by riding up the skirting a little and then trim again. it may take a month or so, depending how warm the room temperature is. cover the offending tape with paper. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Noted with thanks! Oddly enough recently used the hairdryer technique to lay small area of vinyl to help with manipulation - didn't occur to me this could work to advantage when lifting same. A promising approach and is definitely worth a try. :D
Nearlyman

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:10 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:53 pm