Flue dripping
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Phil66
Labourer
Labourer

Flue dripping

by Phil66 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:09 am

Hello,
I have an open flame fire. When I am in bed and it is raining I can hear a dripping noise (the flue is right above my head), it sounds like it is on metal. I went into the loft and it sounds like the inside of the flue where it is angled from the downpipe to go into the flue in the wall. Sometimes in heavy rain there can be no drip for a few minutes then suddenly it sounds as though something has overflowed starting with what sounds like 10 drips a second slowing to 1 a second then back to it's normal rate of about every 15 seconds. There is a very small leak coming from the duct tape in the loft. I had the guy in who fitted it and he said it is normal now for the new flues, he said it is an overflow and nothing to worry about. He put some more duct tape around the pipe. Any ideas if this is correct? Are there any better pipes for the roof?

I can email pics if anyone wants me to as I can't see how to put them into this post.

Cheers
Phil

GeckoGas
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GeckoGas » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:09 am

Hi Phil; there is no such thing as a drain on an open flued appliances flue - This should be gas tight throughout it's lengh, so letting water through is a definate no, no.

Pictures would be good as it will depend on what fittings have been used (Also inlclude a picture of the flue termination if possible).... dan@geckogas.co.uk

As far as the regs are concerned; they simply state that a flue must be made of "adequate and sound construction" - This normally involves some form of adapter collar between the flue components; then sealed with fire cement, possibly screwed and tapped depending on the materials - But the tape must also be suitable for purpose and I have never seen any approved tapes peel with moisture when they are reasonably fresh and correctly applied - Tapes do sometime "dry out" but it will take a good year or so and normally this only applies at the lower portion of the flue where the products of combustion are much hotter.

One last thing - Due to the recent extreme rain levels; there is a possibility of water entering the flue terminal, however, do check that:
a) You have a flue terminal
b) It is the correct type for the fire and flue diameter at your property

GeckoGas
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GeckoGas » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks for the photo's Phil66.... I can confirm that the flue itself is fine by the looks of it and that the dripping is rain water from the weathering plate.

Get your installer/supplier to check the weathering plate and replace where neccessary.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 am