Fluorescent Lights. PL-L vs TC-L is there a difference?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blaggo
Labourer
Labourer

Fluorescent Lights. PL-L vs TC-L is there a difference?

by blaggo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:41 am

I got my 40w, 2G11 base. bulbs ready to fit to my 2x40w ballast. Wiring diagram on the ballast looks fine and I have the correct wire. I believe my ballast is suitable. However, the ballast states TC-L whereas the bulbs say PL-L.

I have not been able to find an answer by searching the internet as to whether any difference exists in the real world rather than just some difference in labelling terminology. Several places use TC-L and PL-L interchangeably as if there is no difference. Bulbs look the same and have the same 2G11 fitting and wattage ratings.

Just as an example please look here (example from one of my searches):
Google "midlandcountiesstreetlighting.co.uk/LantHPS255.html"

Anyone in the know who can tell me something about PL-L vs TC-L thankyou in advance.

PeteMc
Labourer
Labourer

TC-L PL-L

by PeteMc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:10 pm

See this specification from RS

Google "radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4946629#"

I would say they were compatible - hope it helps

blaggo
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks PeteMc

by blaggo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:12 pm

So many professional places have used the terms almost interchangeably, that I am pretty convinced now they could be used as the same thing.

I've decided to wire one up and basically see if it works, I'm thinking nothing worse than the bulb 'dying' would probably occur if something was wrong (PL-L bulbs are a kind of CFL as far as I know).

Thanks again for the further reference.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:55 am