All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Flushing Central Heating System

by kbrownie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi all,
Have a problem with radiator cold spots, I have tried radiator flush run for a few days then drained down re-fillied added inhibator and about 6 weeks later problem re-appears. Drained system down again removed rads and flushed out with pressurised power hose till water clear, again inhibator intruduced to system whilst filling up, but the problem re-occurs.
The rads when flushed have grey/black water inside, the pipes are plastic.
I have had rads off three or four times since May, need good constructive advise, on best method to solve this problem.
Thanks
KB

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi

Have you had a look at the DIY Projects area at all, especially the project on "Radiator Problems": https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/ra ... oblems.htm

This may help you out!

Regards

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:06 pm

Yes had a look and that is what I have been doing, but problem keeps returning. Is there a really good central heating system cleaner that is worth investing in and also a really good inhibator or is worth having the whole system power flushed.
KB

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:20 pm

hi
how old are the rads,if very old it may be worth replacing if not that old it seems very strange
bob

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:53 am

Hi bob thanks looking at my post,
The house was refurbished about 6 years ago all rads, pipework were replaced then and a new boiler installed, about 1 year ago I replaced that bolier with condensing boiler.
These were all fitted by qualified gas central heating plumbers.
I'm not sure if the previous boiler has orignally caused this problem as it was playing up and pressure kept building up in system, plumber said expansion vesel had gone (the heat exchanger had gone about 2 months proir to this)), he said he could put a rubber balloon like thing on boiler as replacement, didn't want that, so replaced with new condensing boiler.
So I'm really frustrated over this, as I hope you can appreciate, so any helpfull advise would be much welcome!
KB

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:04 am

hi
if costable and its practical id replace
bob

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:57 am

Hi,

You could fit a Magnaclean, it pulls out the crap, you empty it regularly, this might help cost c £100. These should be on all systems IMO

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:09 pm

Hello again sorry for delay in getting back, Magnaclean I have heard and been suggested this before, I am now aware that this product is available and are different types. Which would be best for may application. Condensing Boiler running 7 rads.
and also combi running 7 rads.
Help appreciated.
KB

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 am