Foundations near existing basement and over sewer pipes
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dutch001
Labourer
Labourer

Foundations near existing basement and over sewer pipes

Post by dutch001 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:05 pm

Does anybody know the regulations in regards to the minimum foundation depths when building next to a basement ?
I am building a bungalow parallel to my neighbours’ Victorian house which included a basement. The distance between the two buildings is 2.7m My architect told me I will have to excavate to the same level as the basement foundation which is 3m deep. Also to avoid a waste pipe which is buried at a similar depth. The waste pipe is part of my private sewer so I don't see why I can't build over it and keep Thames Water out of the loop. Due to the suggested depth of 3m the architect advises expensive pile foundations. Before submitting these (over the top ?) ideas to the Building Control a second opinion is much appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:59 pm

dutch001,
Suggest you talk to building control and see if they can guide you. Your architects depth requirements are probably right - has he mentioned party wall agreements?
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:07 pm

I think you should be listening to your architect - thats what you are paying him for. In any event if I were you I'd trot down to your LABC and have an informal chat with them. They will tell you exactly what they will be looking for in these circumstances and you can a) plan appropriately and b) only have to submit plnas that you already know they will accept. Noone can second guess what they are going to say.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 am