Free Standing Gas Cooker Installation Advice
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rjhmlng
Labourer
Labourer

Free Standing Gas Cooker Installation Advice

by rjhmlng » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:19 pm

Hi,

I need some help advice. My wife and I work abroad and live in accommodation supplied and maintained by our UK employer. We awoke this morning and discovered a rank smell eminating from the kitchen. The smell was similar to that which you get with gas when it is left on without being lit. I obviously was not best pleased and complained to my employers maintenance department. Our only gas supply in the house is for the gas hob on our free standing cooker. I examined the supply and noted the following:

(1) the hose from the gas supply to the cooker looks remarkably similar to the hose pipe we use to water the plants.

(2) the hose is fixed to the cooker and to the in supply by means of those circular metal bands that you tighten with a screw.

(3) there is no safety device fitted to either end of the pipe or to the supply to prevent gas leaking into the kitchen if the pipe was accidentally disconnected.

What I want to know is if the sort of connection is acceptable and if not where in the regulations does it clearly state this and the obligations on our employer.

Thank you

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:20 pm

Hi In UK CORGI rules apply but not abroad; but if home is part of employment 'benefits' ie rent free or at much reduced rent then I believe HSE / HASAW acts apply. 'Jubilee' worm-drive hose clips are not acceptable, hose must be marked as suitable for gas, also restraining chain to stop cooker being moved is required.
Depending where you are some countries have quite stringent rules but only apply them if someone complains (eg SPAIN).
Try your employers, if no joy all the above have web sites, regards SPARX

claire.arnold
Apprentice
Apprentice

by claire.arnold » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:41 pm

Hi, I suggest you get this sorted immediately as there is no way that the connections for your cooker are acceptable, abroad or not. I would write a letter to your employer & outline in detail what you've found & that you believe it is unacceptable. The connections & maintenance on that cooker is lethal!

jango
Labourer
Labourer

by jango » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:57 am

That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Get it dealt with immediately.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:19 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:44 pm