Front Door Latch
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JenisMistry
Labourer
Labourer

Front Door Latch

Post by JenisMistry » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:46 pm

I have been looking on the internet for the solution to my problem but to no avail, i am hoping that someone here can help me.

On my front door of my property i cannot seem to shut the door in one single motion (if i am outside) as the latch seems to be catching on the strike plate thus stopping it from closing the door. The flat part of the latch is hitting the strike plate. I either have to slam the door (not a good idea i know!) or i have to put the key in to turn the latch slightly then i am able to shut the door.

Is there away to adjust the latch so that it is slightly further into the door and not protruding out as much to cause this problem?

I have tried putting some grease on the latch, which helps slightly as is enables the latch to slide a bit but it is not a long term solution.

Any help would be appreciated and I am open to any suggestions.

Regards

Jai

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:10 pm

JenisMistry,
Use a file to make the curved part of the latch more curved so that there is no longer a flat hitting the striker plate.
end

TheIronmonger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Front Door Latch

Post by TheIronmonger » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:57 am

Your best bet is to remove the strike plate from the door frame and sink it into the frame slightly more and also if you can bend the lip of the strike plate a little furture

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by allan the locksmith » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:24 am

I bet the lock is an era night latch.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:54 am