Furry stuff around Baxi fireplace
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DizzyDIYer
Labourer
Labourer

Furry stuff around Baxi fireplace

by DizzyDIYer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi, wonder if someone can help me?

I forced my husband to demolish the fireplace in our 1970s house yesterday. While he was removing the delightful faux stone plinth, he discovered and removed a pipe delivering air to the Baxi fire. During this removal we discovered this was an asbestos cement pipe and took the most reasonable precautions we could (given the fact that he'd already exposed and BROKEN the pipe). We damped everything down, cleared the room, opened all the windows and doors and removed all traces of pipework, only returning to the room a few hours later. I have washed all his clothes and he wore a mask (albeit a rubbish wee paper one) and the pipe is now wrapped in plastic and awaiting a trip to the dump after we've checked out the council's policy on asbestos disposal.

While I am praying that these precautions were sufficient, I am more worried about the furry stuff which was/is wodged in around the fireplace. It looks like some kind of wool - maybe mineral wool. Is this likely or is it possible that it's some kind of loose asbestos (in which case, we're probably all doomed)?

griffo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by griffo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:23 pm

If your quick you could probably get a lottery ticket before its too late :wink: ##Hard to tell what it is from your description could be a vermiculite mix they insulate solid fuel appliances with?

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:33 am