Fused Spur advice needed

Postby QREQRF » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:34 pm

I am going to install a fused spur taking the feed from a double socket that I know is on the ring main. I intend to use this spur to power a new dbl socket further along the wall. I also want to put install wall lights that will have seperate switches. A couple of questions...
1. Can I take 2 live feeds from the new FCU.. 1 for the new socket & 1 for one of the wall lights?
2. Can I then take another live feed from the new dbl socket to the other wall light?
3. Is it best to have a normal light switch, or use a switched FCU?
4. Am I right to intend to use 2.5mm T&E throughout.. being as FCU are being used??
Any help/advice gladly welcomed.
QREQRF

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:51 pm

The update to the new regulations gives a good diagram of what can be done with a ring main and radial see http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring ... m?type=pdf Once you have fused you can reduce cable size to that required by the fuse the only problem is where for example a 3 amp fuse is replaced with a 13 amp but many lights are only rated at 6 amp so you may need to use two fused spur units but to daisy chain sockets even if it is within regulations is not a good idea.
Once you have looked at the two pages on sockets if you have questions come back and ask.
All best Eric
ericmark

Sort by
Order by