G-U front door lock mechanism
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sezicoolcat
Labourer
Labourer

G-U front door lock mechanism

by sezicoolcat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi all,
Can some advise me whether it is common practise these days for lock/door manufacturers to design front doors without a split spindle mechanism so that EVERY time I have to actually lock the door using the key in order to secure my children in the home?

I have only had experience of 1 uPVC door and I have just had to have its locking mechanism replaced (side strip and all locking bolt furniture etc) by a locksmith, but I can open the door from the outside?? I no longer have a "night latch" so I am worried that if that key isn't turned (son come home from school - I mean, he can barely remember to close the door, let alone lock it) it leaves him vunerable. If I go out and leave the kids at home, I shall have to LOCK THEM INSIDE - leaving an exit blocked in case of emergencys.

I have had the locksmith come out again and he tells me that G-U who makes the mech for my door, only do this one type of lock mech and its no longer split spindle type because of SECURITY (ie to prevent me locking myself OUT of my home??)

What an absurd idea for a manufacturer of locks to remove a safety feature that I depend upon? I can't always remember to lock that door - now my life and the life of my kdis DEPENDS on it??

Can someone tell me if that is now the norm - that doors / locks are now manufactured that allow the door to be opened freely from the outside (unless locked by a key)

(sorry for the War and PEace posting but I am really worried about this)
Sarah

DiscreetSecurity
Labourer
Labourer

Re: G-U front door lock mechanism

by DiscreetSecurity » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Basically, you've been misled. Split spindle is still available.

However, it is terrible to trust it. They are really not secure as even a single kick will break open most of them, & your son can easily leave the house without you knowing by pushing the handle down.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:17 am