Gable end
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jrterror
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gable end

Post by jrterror » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi,
I have a gable end to rebuild and I am considering using blocks instead of the existing bricks. It is only a small section of wall, single skin I believe, 8' long with it's highest point being at the centre and this is 4' high. (A triangle). It is out of sight, sat in a maze of roof valleys. I intend on placing a window in this expanse, this measures 3' by 1'. I was wondering which type of block I should be using. The gable end may be exposed to a lot of weather and because it is single skin shall be plastered on the interior, so it needs to keep the damp out, however ideally I do not want to render the exterior. Also, should I be using different types of blocks at each side of the window to support the lintel that shall in turn support the blockwork above the window? High density blocks perhaps? Which type of block has the best water resistance?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:19 pm

jrterror,
Your proposal is not going to work.
Single skin walls will always be porous so unless you stop water ingress from the outside by either rendering or cladding with inside will be damp/wet.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:16 pm