Gap Between my Driveway and the Side Wall of my House
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

charliecharlie
Labourer
Labourer

Gap Between my Driveway and the Side Wall of my House

by charliecharlie » Sun May 21, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi All

Have a question about my driveway, wonder if anyone can help me.

My driveway is built with concrete slabs to the side of my house, sloping towards my back garden. There is a ~10mm gap between the driveway and the wall of my house all the way (please see photo).

I'm not sure if this is because the sealing material has worn away or is the gap there by design (to allow expansion/contraction, or breathing?). The bricks beneath the DPC have quite a bit of efflorescence (salt deposited at the brick surface due to water evaporating from the bricks).

There is a drain hole next to the wall at the bottom of the driveway (you can see it in the photo), but it doesn't seem to be connected to the sewage but have pebbles at the bottom, looks more like a soak-away to allow water to be absorbed into the soil underneath.

By looking at the sewage covers, I also believe the sewage runs beneath the driveway next to and along the wall, and should pass beneath the drain hole mentioned above.

A builder who came to my area looking for jobs the other day was trying to persuade me to redo my driveway, which has some cracks too, and said he can seal the gap and the cracks for me. He said if I don't seal the gap water will get into the foundation of my house and eventually damage it. Is this true?

Regards
Charlie
Attachments
Driveway1c.jpg

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 pm