Gap between shower tray and wall
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greenrj
Labourer
Labourer

Gap between shower tray and wall

by greenrj » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:24 pm

I am re-installing a shower tray and enclosure in an upstairs room. In the past there has been a small leak which has affected a wall in the downsatirs lounge.

In order to avoid future leaks I am going to embed the tray into two sides of the three walled sides (other side will be a showe door). On the third wall there will be a gap approximately 5 inches wide which I plan to fix some sloping tiles to but upto the exposed side of the tray.

I am not sure how best to firstly fill the 5 inch gap (around 6 inches deep) and then fix the tiles. I am nervous that this are might be more likely to leak in future.

For information I have built a stand for the tray using 4'' x 2" and 0.75" plywood.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks

Ray

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:21 pm

Where has the 5" gap come from in the first place? One thing is for sure, if you simply tile over the gap, you will have a line of buckets downstairs to catch the leaking water in a couple of months.

If you can't use a bigger tray to fill the void, you must treat it as a wet room area, and the surface under the tiles must have a membrane not just on the flat, but up the wall, and pay particular attention to the corners.

The weak spot is going to be where the tray and tiles meet. I almost guarantee it will leak.

greenrj
Labourer
Labourer

by greenrj » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks for the response. The gap is caused because the walls in the shower room are not square and we have a square tray! I seem to have two options, either buy a new oblong tray and embed it into the walls if necessary or do as you say and treat the tiled area where the gap is as a wetroom area. Is it worth embedding the horizontal tiles int o the wall aswell as do what you suggest with the membrane? Also is sand and cement ok to provide a bed for the tiles.

How will the membrane work? If the water leaks through I assume it has to go somewhere although I might have got this completely wrong!

Thanks

Ray

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:46 pm

The membrane, or tanking as it is called, should completely cover the area and more that may get wet in a shower area. The idea is if water penetrates the tiles, the substrate will remain intact, so the tiles remain fixed, and no water can leak away to appear elsewhere. The idea is the membrane will divert the water back to the shower waste. Now this is where your problem is going to lie - getting the a waterproof seal between tray and tanking.

Definitely overlay the horizontal tiles with the wall tiles so water drains naturally away from joints.

As you refer to all sides as "sides", rather than left, right, front and back, it is difficult to visualise exactly where the gap is.

I would think carefully before trying to tile a horizontal surface in a shower cubicle. If I have to fit a tray in to a odd shaped area, I always make the wall fit they tray by using a combination of studding, plasterboard and Aquapanel.

greenrj
Labourer
Labourer

by greenrj » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks for your advice. I think I will try and find a larger tray to fit the odd shaped room.

Cheers

Ray

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:26 am